Sunday, January 23, 2011

Week Three has come to an end...

Yesterday was our cross-training day and mine consisted of lugging bags around Newark airport. Continental must have known I needed to get some form of exercise in so they decided to move my gate to the other side of the airport and then move us again because our airplane had a cracked windshield. I was out of the apartment at 8am and didn't get to Houston until 5:30pm. Ugh. When I did get to my brother's house in Houston I wanted to take it easy because of the 5-mile run scheduled for today. We went for a quick bite to eat and then I went right to bed.

Although yesterday's travel experience was miserable, it did bring me to Houston which has some real nice weather this time of year. I've been running in 20 degree weather with extreme winds so it was a welcome surprise when I woke up and stepped outside to 60 degrees and sunny.

Houston is a funny place to run, people are so friendly and cars actually stop for you. As I was running, I came to a few intersections where cars definitely had the right of way but they stopped. I almost didn't know what to do so I just waved. Then as I was running, people were waving and say morning ya'll. Like seriously? When I run the streets of New York, cabs intentionally try to hit me and I think people may actually stick their foot out when I am trying to run by. Jerks.

Anyway, back to the run. This was my first 5-mile run so my goal was to get to the 3-mile point and take a short break before finishing up. When I did reach that point, I knew I could keep going so I ended up running the full 5 miles without a break. I was so happy that I ran inside, told my brother, and made him take me to get a latte as a reward. Haha.

This was an amazing start to the day, now the Jets need to win...

No comments:

Post a Comment