Monday, March 21, 2011

DONE!!!!

Holly and I are DONE! We ran the half marathon yesterday morning and finished without stopping. It was hard, one of the most physically demanding things I've ever done in my life for sure. The support of our friends and our families has been unbelievable. I'd like to thank everyone who came to the run to cheer us on and to the brunch after. You guys are honestly the only reason Holly and I were able to finish the race.

To talk about the actual run quickly. We showed up to the race about 45 minutes before it started and it was around 35 degrees and still dark out. We handed in our bags to be taken to the finish line and waited at the start line for over a half hour. Everyone was very cold and excited to get the race started. I will say, the event is run incredible well and these people have everything down to a science. The run started and Holly and I were nervous. At the 2 mile mark I saw my family and got pretty excited and more relaxed. After that there were a lot of hills that we did not know about in central park. We were in the middle of nyc city running up hills that you'd think would be in a mountain range (not exactly but it felt like it at the time). As soon as central park was over, 8 miles, we started heading down 7th Avenue. I got to see my family again as we made our way down and took a right onto 42nd towards the west side highway. That's when we saw Holly's family and friends. After that we made our way down the last 3 miles of the west side highway to the finish. That was the longest part of the race for me. You know your close but not that close and just praying to see the mile signs coming up soon. We "sprinted" the last 100 feet and finished strong.

After the race I could not feel my legs. They were completely exhausted. Holly and I both said that we actually weren't that tired or out of breath at all, our legs were completely shot though. I think my legs would agree that it was by far the hardest thing I've ever done in my life. After the race I went with my amazing family back to my apartment where Holly and I put together a brunch for the family and friends who have supported us through the past 3 months.

Once again I would just like to say thank you everyone. You were all so amazing helping us raise money, letting us complain to you almost every day, and truly helping us believe that we could finish the race. I'm sure I speak for Holly when I say that we thought of each and every one of you while we were running to help us finish. Thank you so much!

We're DONE!!!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment